Meeting audio & minutes of the June 2016 meeting

Audio from the meeting can been downloaded here:

http://madhatters4x4.com/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/June-Madhatters-small.mp3

Meeting brought to order at 7:10pm

Guests: Jeff Blewett from Cal4

  • Rubicon trip – 8 rigs, Craig was trail boss
    • Lots of breakage – John sheared all studs on one axle before start of trip, Greg & John’s Dad broke leaf spring & center pin. Got fixed up the next day.
    • John drown some worms, caught nothing in the river
    • Cadillac Hill was very wet, some snow going down by Miller Lake.
    • On the way out Dennis had transfer case issues, ending in a call to AAA from  Tahoe
    • Craig broke a track bar and luckily didn’t crash – got trailered back home as well. Needs a bunch of welding/sleeving of the front frame.
    • Sad note: weekend prior a young man died due to a flop and not wearing a seatbelt. Please wear your seatbelt. Seriously.
  • Rodeo Parade
    • Had a good time, 15 rigs showed up.
    • Got 2nd place in category
    • After parade, a bunch of folks had lunch/beers at Dennis’
    • Next year, we need to get placed ahead of the horses – lots of poop to dodge 🙂
  • Rubicon trip – part 2 – Spider Lake & Adopt-a-Trail work
    • Art & John went in Friday; John got caught in traffic  and didn’t get to the trail until after 8:30pm.
    • Camped at start of Granite Bowl, got rained on the next morning (we didn’t set up tents – d’oh).
    • Got serenaded by the Highlanders Poker Run folks set up next to us at 7am, playing the tune from MASH on a tape loop for hours.
    • Made it to Little Sluice early afternoon, spread wet gear out on the rock/rigs in the sun and took a couple hour nap on rocks
    • Wandered over to Spider and setup camp next to the lake – thank you Merlin & John Arnez. Had dinner with Wheelers for the Wounded /Jeepers Jamboree cooks.
    • Worked on our AAT section on Sunday along with Craig. John broke a tie rod on the way there, Art had his pitman arm loosen up and get tweaked. We got about 1/2 of our silt traps cleaned up and headed back to Craig’s
    • Art’s tow rig broke on the way to Craigs the previous week and the resulting repairs took all week, so Art camped out at Craig & Carol’s for 6 days.
    • Tom Kroll and Sherry were on the Rubicon same weekend in different groups, but we never saw them during the weekend as they went to Buck/Springs.
  • Boner nominations:
    • John for breaking all his studs before getting to the trail
    • Craig for getting stuck in the snow
    • Art for too many things to mention, but mostly having to deal with his broken F-350, camping out at Craig & Carols for the whole week and ‘odd’ text messages to John & Rene when leaving (voice to text turned “I’m leaving Craig & Carol’s” into “I’m leaving pregnant Carol’s” :-P)
    • Art won the Boner by a couple votes… I’ll fly it at Trek
  • Jeff Blewett gave details on the new RTF property. Folks are encouraged to go visit it and check out places to camp, as well as look at trails to cut (which we could get named for the club)
  • July trip – Swamp Lake might be closed – stay tuned for any changes in plans (Dennis is trail boss)
  • Club picnic – need a trail boss/food boss – Deer Valley will still be closed, so other options include: Gold Lake, Niagara Rim, Barney Riley. We’ll decide at the July meeting.
  • Sierra Trek
    • Committee registration is open – deadline is July 28
    • Raffle prize solicitation list sent out to everyone to assist in hitting up vendors for donations
    • Trail plans for the Thurs full run – we’ll camp at Jones’ cabin Weds nite and make dinner there again. Please let Rene know so we can plan for food
    • Camp setup – some of us will be up the weekend before at Meadow to setup tents / mark out camping spots
    • We will leave ahead of the rest of the groups Thurs to get video and pictures
    • We will need help at Meadow with running the raffle booth
    • Lots of other runs at Trek (historic run, ATV run, river run, etc).
    • Need someone for the kids raffle this year
  • Cantina for the Con (Labor Day weekend)
    • Some folks are going to volunteer to help sling tacos on Saturday from 9:30 – 1pm
    • All are welcome to come assist
  • Need to discuss ‘Associate member’ ideas – have interest from folks out of the area to be members, but they can’t make it to meetings
  • Adopt-a-trail work
    • Fordyce – setting up AAT sign at Eagle Lake the 2nd week of July
    • Need some tree/trash cleanup run from Committee up to Meadow (will do some of this after we set up the sign)
    • Rubicon – need to schedule a day to finish off the rest of our silt traps (maybe over Cantina weekend?)
  • Last weekend in July – non-wheeling event – 24 of the Lemons – endurance race for clunkers (no more than $500 to be spent)
  • Livermore Amateur Radio Klub doing a General test cram & exam last weekend in July

 

This entry was posted in Club Business, Club Events/Runs, OHV Activism, Trails. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply