October Work Party

As you should know, October 8th is our scheduled work party on the Fordyce Creek Trail.  We will be working in conjunction with Friends Of The Fordyce.  It is my personal opinion that the overwhelming cause of damage on this class 10 four wheel drive trail is caused by Rock and other type buggies with the 40 and 44 inch tires.  Having this in mind, a lot, most of the members of FOFCT membership run these large rigs with the rock moving tires.  For this reason I feel it is important for our membership to attend this October trail work party so we can get to know these people.  People that work and sweat together normally form a bond and this is what is needed with our club

I worked dilligently for several years to have our Eagle Peak adopt a-trail returned to the Madhatters.   Suddenly, a number of adopt a-trail options are being presented to our club.

There is no point in pursuing any of these adopt a-trails unless our membership is ready to stand up, particpate and make a difference. Talk is cheap, so if you raised your hand at the last Club meeting and said you would be a part of the October work party you need to man up and attend.

About El Presidante

Past Madhatter President (9 years), Retired Police Officer. A mild stroke in 2011 slowed my wheeling down a bit but I'm still working on getting back in the game. I now am TOTALLY retired. Sue and I are approaching 42 years of marriage and our 2 kids and 7 Grandkids keep me busy. At the top of my priority list is getting all those Grandkids up in the mountains on camping and fishing trips. My bucket list is getting shorter but I've still got a lot of projects in the works.
This entry was posted in Trails. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to October Work Party

1. R_LIZRD says:

For those that have not been to the Meadow Lake area other than at Trek, you will find a totally different experience here. Simply in my opinion, the coolest place to camp, fish, and off road. I will need a head count at the September meeting of who is going so we can plan for camping and food. As El Presidente has put it, MAN UP!!!!!

2. Wild_Bill_2 says:

A remote mountain location, a deep lake, unpredictable weather, chance of bears – I’m in!

3. Squarelight says:

I’ll be there too, got the time off work. Hope my little 32″s can handle it :/

4. BenBuilt says:

I will also be there. Myself plus one co-pilot. Is there anything in particular we should bring other than the typical off-road stuff? I checked the current repair strategies on Pirate 4×4 seems like the most useful tool is going to be a winch. If someone hears on something else we could use….

5. R_LIZRD says:

As I get information about camping, where we’re gonna work, and who’s going, I will update the blog. This information will be out prior to the September Madhatter meeting so all questions can be addressed. For those worried about driving on the trail, a lot of work needs to be done on winch hill #5, so you won’t have to drive down the trail if you don’t want to.

Hey Squarelight, the first time I ran the Fordyce, I ran it on 31′s. So don’t worry about your 32′s, they can handle it. Oh, that’s right, you’re driving a Jeep. I would be worried if I were you. :P

6. R_LIZRD says:

The PG&E campgrounds at Meadow lake close on 9/20/11. Camping should be free in these campsites if that’s where we camp.

7. El Presidante says:

RLizard failed to give SQUARE LIGHT’s all of the pertinent trail information in his last post and I’m quite certain that Dustin is shaking in his tennis shoes. As a responsible Madhatter I’m going out on a limb so listen up Dustin……… If you air down those 32″ tires and change to round headlights you will be able to go anywhere you choose to go in your Jeep………….

8. Wild_Bill_2 says:

Dustin,

It’s always good not to carry any extra weight; Like a cooler with the three buds taking a warm bath.

In any event, don’t fret – we’ll have the lucky charms recovery team on stand by!

9. Squarelight says:

aw you guys made my jeep shed a tear lol, not to worry little YJ, I promised you two very useful upgrades will be yours by our next outing!

10. Wild_Bill_2 says:

DIRECTIONS TO MEADOW LAKE:
    1. Exit I-80 in Truckee and proceed north on hwy 89 towards Sierraville for 14.6 miles
    2. Turn left on USFS Rd 07 ( towards Webber Lake/Jackson Meadows Resevoir) and
    proceed for 9.5 miles on Rd 07.
    3. Turn Left on USFS Road 86 (towards Meadow Lake) Pavement ends and it’s 10.9 miles
    to camp:
     — 0.6 miles , road forks, keep right
     — 6.0 miles further, White Rock Lake turnoff………. KEEP RIGHT
     — 2.0 miles further, KEEP RIGHT
     — 0.6 miles further, Keep LEFT and continue 1.6 more miles to base camp.

11. R_LIZRD says:

Attention All Madhatter’s planing on going to the Workday on the Fordyce. I just got an email from FOF (10/06/11 at 10:30am) and they said the workday is still going to happen. Although the forecast is for good weather, prepare for extremely cold weather and snow. See you all up there.

12. R_LIZRD says:

I just got an (10/06/11 at 10:30 am) email from Friends of the Fordyce. I was told the work party was still going to happen. Dress for extremely cold weather when coming up even though the weather forecast is going to be good. See Ya up there.