At the October meeting, we made a quick pass thru some proposals for 2016. Please review and suggest other runs for stuff not already nailed down, as well as volunteering for trail boss/asst. trail boss. 2016 will be a fun year and a good time for new folks to be assistant trail bosses (hint hint):
- Jan 15-17 Cal4Wheel Winter Fun Fest – Madhatters will run the Saturday raffle and lead the Sunday snow run – Trail boss: <needed>
- Jan 29-Feb 6 – King of the Hammers (Johnson Valley) – Trail boss: Art
- Feb 19-20 Convention (Sacramento) – Madhatters will enter the car show (John to coordinate). Possible day run to Prairie City OHV?
- Mar 19-27 Easter Jeep Safari (Moab, UT) – Trail bosses: John & Rene
- Mar ? – Snow run (- Trail boss: <needed>
- April 15-17 – Rye Patch (NV)– Trail boss: Dale
- May 13-15 – Cal4Wheel Molina Ghost Run (Hollister Hills SVRA)
- May 20-22 – Ladies Run to Bear Valley Loop Trail – Trail boss: Rene
- May 27-30 – Cal4Wheel High Desert Roundup (Stoddard Valley near Barstow)
- June 3-5 – Rubicon Trail – Trail boss: Craig
- June 11 – Livermore Rodeo Parade – Coordinator: Rene
- July 15-17 – Swamp Lake – Trail boss: Dennis
- Aug 4-7 – Sierra Trek – Trail boss: Dave Jones?
- Sept 2-5 – Cal4Wheel High Sierra Poker Run (Swamp Lake)
- Sept 3-5 – Cantina for the Con (Loon Lake)
- Sept 9-11 – Club picnic – Deer Valley or Gold Lake – Trail boss: <needed>
- Sept 30-Oct 2 – Barrett Lake – Trail boss: John
- Oct ?? – Slick Rock? – Trail boss: <needed>
- Oct 13-14 – Cal4Wheel Operation Desert Fun (Superstition Mtns)
- Nov 11-13 – Cal4Wheel Panamint Valley Days
- Nov <thanksgiving week> – suggestions needed + trail boss
- Dec 3 – Christmas party – need host
October 2015 meeting audio now available here:
- Great trips to Barrett Lake and Slick Rock
- Bill & Jenni jointly got the bone, for multiple non-fixed maintenance issues and bailing on Slick Rock enroute due to failures (including AC?!?)
- We celebrated George turning 80 with a surprise cake!
- Club Xmas party to be held at John & Rene’s – details to come
- Winter Fun – we will be doing the raffle and trail boss of Sunday run. Rene will email out committee registration form to everybody
- Club was asked by Amy to do raffle for Convention in February. Vote was taken and we voted to not run the raffle for Convention, due largely to the short time period between WFF and convention, as well as its a good opportunity for another club to do a raffle.
- We will be participating in a club hospitality suite. Person in charge TBD. John will take charge of club participation in vehicle show. Rene will coordinate for the dinner.
- Nominations requested for 2015 recognition awards. None were brought up at the meeting, but send Rene/John email up to November 18 so we have time to prepare awards for the Xmas party.
- Upcoming runs:
- Nov 7th Chris & Dustin will trail boss a day to Hollister;
- Thanksgiving week (Nov 22-29) Calico trip – Art as trail boss
- Budget voted for xmas party: $700 to John & Rene for table/chair rentals and Rene will get gifts for kids attending; everybody donate something for the raffle and we will cut Dale’s budget to $400 for bigger gifts. (Last year the raffle took way too long.)
- Voted in new member, Jack Hardy
As previously noted, the November trip is planned for Thanksgiving week (Nov 22-28) to base camp at Calico Ghost Town campground in Yermo (just outside of Barstow) and do day trips around Calico, Stoddard Valley/Wells OHV area, and maybe venture as far south as Cougar Buttes outside of Lucerne Valley. There’s also areas to do old mine exploration, fossil deposits and target shooting if folks are interested. There are trails for all levels of drivers, including for motorcycles and side-by-sides. Some of the more extreme trails have bypasses, others don’t. We can evaluate which runs to do depending on who shows up and what they’re interested in. Info on camping at Calico can be found at: http://cms.sbcounty.gov/parks/parks/calicoghosttown.aspx
For hotels, there is a good place near Calico: http://oaktreeinn.com/hotels/yermo-california/
John & Rene are planning to show up Nov 21 (camped in C-13) and Lisa & I will be there on the 22nd (in C-15 and C-16).
If you want more info, let me know.
The Madhatters club roster has been updated with the August meeting’s new member, Scott. The roster is available in both PDF and XLS formats. Please let me know if you have changes for your entry (address, email, phones, rig picture, ham info, rig mods, etc).
Find the updated roster in the Madhatters web site’s Members section. Sign in using your Madhatter web site credentials. If you don’t remember your credentials then send Art or Darrel an email and one of us will get you setup.
Due to some unavoidable circumstances yesterday (can explain later), I will not be able to make the 7 am departure today. My jeep is unfortunately/fortunately having new tires installed first thing this morning. At best I’ll be leaving Tracy by noon today. I apologize for any inconveniences.
I’m leaving from the Manteca Wendy’s on Hwy. 120E. @ Hwy. 99 around 7 am on Friday Oct. 9. For those who would like to meet me there please let me know before Friday so I know who to wait for. For every one else coming up at later time I ask that you let me know when to expect you. We are going to be camping at Utica Reservoir in one of the two established camp grounds at the lake (Sandy Flat or Rocky Point). The forest service started charging per night for each site. I believe it’s $16 a night. For any one planning on coming up Saturday morning and meeting us at camp, please be there no later then 8:00 AM. I’m going to hold a drivers meeting in camp and most likely we’ll “air down” there.
Depending on the size of our group my plan for the trail is to run it from Utica up to the water slides for lunch and back down to camp.
As always all guests are welcome to join us on our runs.
Carol & I drove our Beamer right to the Barrett gate yesterday. Beautiful drive. I walked 50 feet up the trail and found this is probably not a trail for stock rigs. We picked up a map to share. It’s easy just keep going straight when you get to the stop sign @ Wrights Lake and it’s at the end of the road.
Craig & Carol
Its getting close to Thanksgiving week (Nov 22-28) and the plan this year for a trip to the desert is to base camp at Calico Ghost Town campground in Yermo (just outside of Barstow) and do day trips around Calico, Stoddard Valley/Wells OHV area, and maybe venture as far south as Cougar Buttes outside of Lucerne Valley. There’s also areas to do old mine exploration and target shooting if folks are interested. There are trails for all levels of drivers, including for motorcycles and side-by-sides. Info on camping at Calico can be found at: http://cms.sbcounty.gov/parks/parks/calicoghosttown.aspx
If you want more info, let me know.
You can read their response here: http://madhatters4x4.com/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/PGE-Reply-to-Protests-of-AL-4687-E.pdf
Essentially, it still leaves the Committee Trail in limbo, since its at the whim of the Bear-Yuba Land Trust folks to determine whether its in compliance with the terms of their easement and doesn’t create an formal ‘right to use’. Next steps are being explored with Cal4 and CORVA.
Hi all – just sent out an email to get a head count/rig count for this run. Please let me know if you are interested in joining us. Contact me if you have any questions. Rene