Due to some unavoidable circumstances yesterday (can explain later), I will not be able to make the 7 am departure today. My jeep is unfortunately/fortunately having new tires installed first thing this morning. At best I’ll be leaving Tracy by noon today. I apologize for any inconveniences.
I’m leaving from the Manteca Wendy’s on Hwy. 120E. @ Hwy. 99 around 7 am on Friday Oct. 9. For those who would like to meet me there please let me know before Friday so I know who to wait for. For every one else coming up at later time I ask that you let me know when to expect you. We are going to be camping at Utica Reservoir in one of the two established camp grounds at the lake (Sandy Flat or Rocky Point). The forest service started charging per night for each site. I believe it’s $16 a night. For any one planning on coming up Saturday morning and meeting us at camp, please be there no later then 8:00 AM. I’m going to hold a drivers meeting in camp and most likely we’ll “air down” there.
Depending on the size of our group my plan for the trail is to run it from Utica up to the water slides for lunch and back down to camp.
As always all guests are welcome to join us on our runs.
Carol & I drove our Beamer right to the Barrett gate yesterday. Beautiful drive. I walked 50 feet up the trail and found this is probably not a trail for stock rigs. We picked up a map to share. It’s easy just keep going straight when you get to the stop sign @ Wrights Lake and it’s at the end of the road.
Its getting close to Thanksgiving week (Nov 22-28) and the plan this year for a trip to the desert is to base camp at Calico Ghost Town campground in Yermo (just outside of Barstow) and do day trips around Calico, Stoddard Valley/Wells OHV area, and maybe venture as far south as Cougar Buttes outside of Lucerne Valley. There’s also areas to do old mine exploration and target shooting if folks are interested. There are trails for all levels of drivers, including for motorcycles and side-by-sides. Info on camping at Calico can be found at: http://cms.sbcounty.gov/parks/parks/calicoghosttown.aspx
If you want more info, let me know.
You can read their response here: http://madhatters4x4.com/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/PGE-Reply-to-Protests-of-AL-4687-E.pdf
Essentially, it still leaves the Committee Trail in limbo, since its at the whim of the Bear-Yuba Land Trust folks to determine whether its in compliance with the terms of their easement and doesn’t create an formal ‘right to use’. Next steps are being explored with Cal4 and CORVA.
Hi all – just sent out an email to get a head count/rig count for this run. Please let me know if you are interested in joining us. Contact me if you have any questions. Rene
Hi everybody – I have sent an email out to see who will be attending our annual club picnic, combined with our adopt-a-trail maintenance on the Rubicon. We will be having base camp at Airport Flat Campground. The club will be providing the meat for dinner Saturday night, please respond to the email of what side dish you plan on bringing. Please contact me if you have any questions. Rene
This weekend is Cantina on the Con. It is held at the Loon Lake spillway. There is no need to have a 4×4. Carol and I have helped our friends at Foresthill 4×4 the last few years cook in the kitchen. We have had a great time helping them. If you would like to help us please let me know ASAP. It’s a good time and a great cause . We will be working the 9am to 1pm shift on Saturday .
Hope you all have a great weekend!
This weekend is the Annual Fundraiser for the Rubicon Trail Foundation, Cantina for the Con … John & Rene will be heading up for the event and doing a little trail running too, maybe a night run. Please let us know if you are interested in joining us.
We will have our HAM radio on the Madhatter channel.
Audio transcript from the August 2015 meeting is now online here:
- Sierra Trek report
- Good run on Thursday, some breakage at WH1 and below WH3, but we got to Meadow by 4:30pm
- River run Thurs was good – only a handful of folks actually went all the way to the river
- Historic run was interesting, got to see inside of train sheds around Truckee
- Saturday Art & Mark helped with FoF & the Wheelers for Wounded on a river run. Vets had a blast and were a hit on a parade thru camp after the run
- Raffle was very successful. Many thanks to Stephanie and Nikki for all the help in the booth all day Friday and Saturday. Thanks to all that helped overall. Raffle drew in almost $12K after all tickets and expenses. Silent auction went well too.
- John wants to re-weld our sign at Meadow Lake to move the Madhatters plate to the top.
- Our AAT section below WH5 is staying good and solid. Other sections of the trail need work.
- Picture album: https://flic.kr/s/aHskez33RH
- September events coming up
- Cantina for the Con – Labor Day weekend. Craig and Carol helping with the taco feed, Kurt & Terry, John/Rene & Greg, Josh, various others planning to go.
- Club Picnic – Sept 12-13 – will be held at Airport Flat campground. We will do maintenance on the Rubicon at the Wentworth Springs entrance to clear the silt traps and then do a pot luck back in camp Saturday nite. Working on plan for the meat, everyone should bring stuff to share.
- Barrett Lake run – rescheduled to Sept 26-27 weather permitting. Lots of interest from folks to run Barrett since its reopened for the first time in years. Entrance gate is 86″ wide. If you can’t fit, you can’t be on the trail. Plan is to go in Saturday morning, camp at the lake and come out Sunday. Hike to the historic airplane wreck site if there is time/interest.
- October events
- Chris G. is leading Slick Rock Oct 10-11. Plan is to secure the group campsite area along the road by Utica Reservoir on Friday and the run the trail Saturday. Full details at the Sept club meeting.
- Oct 27 is last club meeting for 2015.
- November events
- Chris & Dustin are looking to lead a trip to Hollister Nov 7. More details at the Sept/Oct meetings.
- Panamint Valley Days (Cal4 event) is Nov 13-15. George is going, maybe others. Details to come.
- Thanksgiving Week in the Desert – Nov 22-29. Art is planning to have base camp at the Calico Ghost Town campground and do day trips from there around the Calico area, Stoddard Valley and maybe as far down as Lucerne Valley/Cougar Buttes. Will post info on campground shortly as folks will need to get reservations.
- December events
- Club Xmas party – need to settle on a venue by the Sept meeting and get plans together. John/Rene volunteered their place again if there was no other takers or solid plan for a different venue.
- 2016 runs
- Start thinking about runs for next year – we want to get it locked down by the October meeting.
- Scott Hansen voted in as a new member – welcome Scott (2nd time as a Madhatter member). Nickname?
- Scott received the Boner Award after having his from wheel come off shortly after leaving the Meadow Lake road due to a missing stub shaft.
- Trail maintenance – some work coming up on the Fordyce (between 1st water crossing and WH1, and around WH3 – 3.5). Our area is still solid. Rubicon work party needed around Gatekeeper on Oct 10th.
- CORVA club conservation award given to Madhatters for 2014.
- Proposed bylaws changes presented by Darrell. Drafts of new text distributed in paper as well as email. Voting will take place at September meeting.