Yes, you read that right. Mudslingers are back, thanks to the efforts of Gary Deis. Thanks Gary!
Get the June Mudslinger here
Audio from the meeting is available here
I wanted to express my gratitude for the generous gift delivered to me on the account of my graduation from Humboldt State University.
The Madhatters have always been my family, from those who have known me since I was on the trail at one month old -who I’ve known most of my life- to those new to the club who I am just getting to know. This club will continue to grow and change as we remember those we’ve lost and as we welcome those we have yet to meet. I only hope that we will continue the spirit of love and family that I have experienced as a member of the Madhatters and that we remember to laugh often, forgive quickly, and always have each others backs. Life is too short for anything else.
Words cannot express the love that I have for you all.
Uploaded the audio from the May 2017 meeting http://madhatters4x4.com/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/May-2017-Madhatters.mp3
Notes from the meeting:
- Still lots of snow/runoff on the trails
- Rubicon is mostly closed right now, til probably June 1 or slightly after except for section from Loon Lake to the intersection with the Wentworth Springs route. See updates here: https://www.edcgov.us/Rubicon/
- Fordyce is open to the first water crossing only. Water level is VERY high (800+CFS ). Road to Fordyce Lake is still closed with snow.
- Ladies Run got canceled due to snow and no good alternatives nearby.
- A few people did some stuff in April/May: Mud-in-Yer Eye (james), Cougar Buttes/Big Bear (Josh & Art)
- George is going to High Desert Round-up for Memorial Day weekend – hope to hear a good bunch of stories when he gets back
- Rubicon Run for June 3-5 is postponed – new plan is to do a short day run from Wentworth Springs either to Spider (if open) or around to Loon and try to get trail maintenance done on our section of the trail – June 17-18. More details as we know them. We figure to do a real Rubicon run later in the season, once things are drier and less busy (later August/Sept)
- If June 17-18 doesn’t work out for Rubicon, Tyler was suggesting he and his Dad were going to head south towards Hungry Valley area.
- Livermore Rodeo parade is coming up – Rene will forward details when we have them
- Club picnic needed to be moved up to July 7-9 from 14-16 due to AxialFest 2017 being scheduled at Cisco Grove from 12-17. Hopefully more of the Fordyce will be open by then.
- Corral Hollow run moved up to July 22 due to conflict that Lloyd has for the 29th. More details in the June meeting.
- Sierra Trek coming up fast. Hoping snow melts at Meadow Lake – its still pretty deep. Need a few volunteers to help with raffle prize solicitation. For folks helping with the raffle or other setup/teardown at Trek, there is a committee registration discount.
- If you’re interested in Moab for next years Easter Jeep Safari, get camping arrangements soon – they are filling up.
Due to Axial Fest happening at Cisco Grove from July 12-17, we will need to push our summer picnic trip up a week to July 7-9, still at Cisco Grove. We will discuss it at the meeting tomorrow, but with the heavy snow melt going on, we may or may not be able to get across the water on Fordyce Creek, but we can still have fun on the trail that we can access, plus on Signal Peak trail, etc.
Stephanie’s first Madhatter run was to Fouts Springs when she was 1 month old. I think we all should all be proud of what she has accomplished because we all had a influence on her growing up. Stephanie earned a Bachelor of Arts with a Theater of Arts major and honors (top 15%) all in only 3 years. Thanks to all of you that helped her become so determined to succeed.
Craig & Carol
P.S. she is standing on her roommate Darienne
The latest Madhatters club roster has been updated with the latest changes after the 2017 renewal cycle. The roster is available in both PDF and XLS formats. Please let me know if you have changes for your entry (address, email, phones, rig picture, ham info, rig mods, etc).
Find the updated roster in the Madhatters web site’s Members section. Sign in using your Madhatter web site credentials. If you don’t remember your credentials then send Art or Darrel an email and one of us will get you setup.
Audio from meeting is available here http://madhatters4x4.com/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/April-2017-Madhatters-Meeting.mp3
- One new guest – “Able” – father/son team – just bought a 2001 TJ and starting to build it up – never Jeeped before
- Sal gave report on Moab trip
- Larry gave a report from FOTR meeting that he & Sherry attended
- Calstar has been been acquired by REACH – there is still a family membership with a small discount ($55/family) – well worth it
- No run for April – not sufficient attendance for Rye Patch – pointed folks to Mud in Yer Eye @Hollister
- Not clear plan for Ladies Run – Sierra is still well buried with snow – Bear Valley trail is buried still. Looking for possible destinations in Reno area.
- Rubicon run for first weekend in June is not likely – trail still under 10-15ft of snow
- Discussed possibility of heading to SoCal for something in May or June (Calico, Cougar Buttes, Hungry Valley SVRA, Big Bear, etc).
- Stay tuned for May/June plans
I just wanted to thank Sherry & Larry for covering the Friends of the Rubicon meeting last Saturday. Larry has already got me up to speed and will share the information with the rest of you at the meeting.
March 2017 meeting audio available for download/listening here:
- Black Tie and Boots report
- Mormon Emigrant snow run
- Josh nails it for the Boner Award!
- Rye Patch trip coming up for April – need to get a headcount ASAP
- Snow in Sierra is likely going to cause delay/change/cancellation of the Ladies Run and delay the Rubicon run in June (or maybe change how far we can go) – stay tuned
- AAT sections for Rubicon and Fordyce will depend on snow melt
- Sierra Trek 50th coming up in August – we’re going to start soliciting for vendor donations soon – many vendors needs more advance notice than in past
- Sierra Trek committee registration opening up – if you are going to be able to volunteer time for the raffe or other Trek volunteer efforts, the registration is 1/2 off.
- Write your reps/governor about OHV legislation coming up to gut the OHV program in CA: http://www.off-road.com/blog/2017/03/23/blueribbon-coalition-urges-support-for-ab-1077-for-california-ohv/
- RTF property on Rubicon will be available this year to everyone
- Need someone to attend the FOTR meeting on April 8 – http://www.rubicontrail.org/rtf-fotrmain.htm
I’m wondering if anyone might be interested in in going to the Friends of the Rubicon annual meeting. It is on April 8. I have family things I need to take care of and won’t be able to make it. The RTF feeds everyone after the meeting. The Madhatters are very important to the Rubicon and it would be nice if someone could represent us at the meeting. Let me know if you have any questions.